Customers should immediately report any downed wires to Jersey Central Power and Light (JCPL) or their local police or fire department via 911. Customers should never go near a downed power line. Customers are also reminded to never attempt to remove trees or tree limbs from power lines.
In Case of a Power Outage
- Unplug or turn off all lights and appliances, to prevent a circuit overload when the power comes back. Leave one light on and plugged in, in order to tell when the power is back.
- Do not use candles as a light source. Make sure that you have enough spare batteries for flashlights, lanterns, etc.
- If you have a generator, do not have it running from inside your house.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible, to keep food from spoiling for as long as possible.
- Do not use your gas oven to warm your house.
- Turn on faucets to keep your pipes from freezing.
To report power outages call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or visit the Jersey Central Power and Light website. Customers can also obtain a summary of any current outages affecting their town by visiting My Town.
Report outages through the JCPL website.